Mt. Mansfield Modified Union School District (MMMUSD) is Formed
On December 18, 2014, Secretary of Education, Rebecca Holcombe, swore in community members who were elected in November to serve on the new MMMUSD Board and officially recognized Mt. Mansfield Modified Union as a Vermont school district. In addition, a treasurer, clerk and annual meeting moderator were elected from the floor and an annual meeting date established on the fourth Thursday in February. This organizational meeting was formal in nature as its purpose was to solidify MMMUSD as an authorized school district entity in the State of Vermont. However, Secretary Holcombe highlighted the historical significance of the new school district as well as her support for the work of the Voluntary Merger Committee and enthusiasm for the potential of the the preK-12 school district.
Mt. Mansfield Modified Union School District (MMMUSD) Board Retreat
The MMMUSD School Board wasted no time in beginning its work. On December 20th, the new board gathered at Camels Hump Middle school to discuss roles and responsibilities, set priorities for the next six months, elect officers and initiate the process of forming a new governing body. The Vermont School Boards Association supported in facilitating the meeting. The retreat was productive and resulted in the following:
- Jon Milazzo (Richmond) was appointed Chair. Andrew Pond (Bolton) was appointed Vice Chair. Dianne Kirson-Glitman (Jericho) was appointed Clerk.
- Peter Geiss (Underhill), Beth Racine (Underhill), Kevin Campbell (UID), Dave Clark (Huntington), Michael Marks (Richmond) and Edye Granning (Jericho) were appointed to the Finance Committee.
- Andrew Davis (Jericho), Peter Geiss (Underhill), Michael Marks (Richmond) and Jon Milazzo (Richmond) were appointed to the Negotiations Committee. Huntington School District Representative, Edmund Booth is also a member of the Negotiations Committee.
- The Board will meet the first and third Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. (Click here to view meeting schedule)
- The January 5, 2015 meeting will take place in the MMUHS Library. Subsequent meetings will be held at CHMS until June 30th. CHMS is the meeting location during the transition phase. After June 30, the board will determine meeting venues.
- Set preparing a 2015-2016 budget; negotiating contract agreements; transitioning supervisory union responsibilities; building a cohesive board team; develop an understanding of the assets of the new district and plan for Town Meeting 2015.
In addition to short-term priorities, the MMMUSD Board will be working on a vision, strategic plans/priorities and community engagement plan. To access a draft of the Board Retreat minutes, please go to MMMUSD retreat minutes.
The next meeting of the MMMUSD Board will be held January 5, 2015, in the Mt. Mansfield Union High School Library. A primary agenda item will be the 2015-2016 MMMUSD budget development for 8 schools which include Smilie Memorial School, Jericho Elementary, Richmond Elementary, Underhill ID Elementary, Underhill Central, Browns River Middle, Camels Hump Middle and Mt. Mansfield Union High Schools.